After spending literally all day yesterday inside our shepherd's hut in a jetlagged but happy state, watching the rain sheet down over the small town of Church Stretton and its verdant surround of hills, today we awoke—late but not nearly as late—to the sight of sheep on those hills, of bright clouds and occasional sun, a cold but crisp day to explore.
We ventured forth around noon taking a shortcut path into the town. It's a likeable place. Thursday is market day, and we succumbed to buying two punnets of fresh strawberries. We looked at a few cafes, all of which looked busy, friendly, and full of good food, and we settled on the Holly Bush Cafe where we enjoyed sandwiches and salads, with tea for me. Workmen in huge wellies, walkers with rucksacks, locals who were regulars, and a huge white dog made for an enjoyable and lively environment.
We aren't people who shop for fun; in fact, we avoid shopping even when we probably should. Today, however, we had such a lovely time looking at things that were useful, beautiful, or both (William Morris would approve). The one place we always enjoy shopping is a bookstore, but going into bookstores on a walking holiday, according to Ken, is torture. We simply can't carry books with us in our rucksacks. There was a small used bookstore with a good collection of local history books that interested Ken, and there was a new bookstore that had several books that were similarly intriguing. Usually I don't enjoy looking in new bookstores because there is little that entices me, but this one had an appealing selection. While we were in this bookstore, a woman walked in and declared, "I have just two minutes to shop, and it's deadly!" On the street outside we could see a coach with its doors open, waiting. I'm not certain if she found something in that short amount of time.
We went to an outdoor store and Ken bought a large scale yet very handy, pocket-sized, un-foldable map covering Caer Caradoc, a nearby hill we hope to climb tomorrow, weather permitting, as well as some of the territory on our upcoming walk to Wenlock Edge (the first day proper of the B2B Part Three). We looked for secateurs (pruning shears) at a general store, a garden store, and a convenience store because we've been debating the virtues of carrying shears to cut down nettles around stiles in certain situations. So far we haven't bought any. I've noted that we've survived this many walks without shears, and will probably survive this walk as well [albeit with a few nettle stings! —Ken]. We went to a local chocolatier and bought eight different flavoured chocolates and one piece of Turkish delight.
I had been looking for an inexpensive book to read while we're in the shepherd's hut, with the plan of discarding it along the way. Although I teach "great literature," I realized that on holiday you don't really want to read something tragic, weighty, or depressing. Thomas Hardy's novels wouldn't be a go-to, for example. We went back to the used bookstore so that I could buy Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford and Cousin Phyllis in a combined volume for £3.50. We then visited several charity shops, which were well-organized and had good things. I saw a nicer copy of Gaskell's Cranford and Cousin Phyllis for £1. I also saw a Life of George Eliot by her husband J. W. Cross for £5, which seemed amazing to find in a charity shop. It was so thick and heavy—if it had been something to do with Charlotte Brontë I would have bought it and carried it until we posted a package, but I decided the weight wasn't worth it for me since George Eliot isn't the focus of my research.
At a gift-shop, we resisted buying OS map-themed items such as a cook's apron or tea-towel with a map of Church Stretton on it. Ken was tempted! In the final charity shop, I saw a blouse I instantly liked, with an intricate pattern of flowers and rabbits on it. I tried it on, and it fit like it was made for me. That almost never happens when I'm shopping for clothes. It was £4.50. I bought it.
After a rest in our shepherd's hut, we went down again for dinner at the King's Head pub, for a huge portion of steak and ale pie (Ken) and spinach cannelloni (me) in a nice atmosphere. A lovely day at a slow pace.
No comments:
Post a Comment